Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another recipe from the cookbook Exquisite but Simple, Modified 19th Century Recipes by Mary Reid. I haven't tried this yet, but will in the near future.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter, stir in milk, turn on floured board, roll 3/4" thick.
- Cut with 1 3/4" floured cutter.
- Place on buttered sheet.
- Brush biscuit with orange juice and sprinkle on grated rind.
- Bake 425 degrees F until golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
These were rather like an orange-flavoured shortbread. I used brown sugar and halved the amount (the full cup would have been too sweet for us) and use just a pinch of salt. I also used slightly less milk. Loved the orangey flavour. Thanks for sharing!