Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Good Housekeeping. Iron-rich and garlic-kissed, the sautéed spinach in this melted-cheese sandwich recipe adds a rich flavor.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- salt, dash
- pepper, dash
- 6 slices whole-grain artisan bread (1/2-inch-thick each cut from center of a round loaf)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 (3 ounce) plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces light jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- Preheat broiler. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium 1 minute. Add garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until garlic is golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
- Meanwhile, place bread on cookie sheet and toast in broiler 2 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Turn toasted bread over and spread Dijon on top of bread slices; top with spinach, sliced tomatoes, then cheese. Broil sandwiches 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Oh my, this was a real treat for lunch! I will absolutely make it again. I scaled the recipe back to serve one, so I just used some cooking spray and a few shakes of garlic powder. Much to my surprise, 2 y/o DS had sandwich envy and ate most of mine LOL. The mustard really makes this, so don't skip it! Also, I did not have shredded Jarlsberg so I just sliced it thin from a wedge and it worked just fine! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 6, Mischief Makers.
Excellent! Quick and easy weeknight dinner. I used a bit less olive oil, and a bit more cheese. Will make again. Going into my quick and easy cookbook.
This is over the top great! My all time favorite too, as my fellow team-mate said in her review. I wouldn't change one thing, and we must of both eaten this virtually at the same time! I also had sliced Jarlesburg from the deli, and boy it's good!! Made for ZWT #6, Zee Zany Zesty Cookz June 2010