Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Kind of a long title for a simple sandwich but it perfectly describes what this sandwich is all about. Perfect for St. Patricks Day, or whenever you crave this tasty comfort food. You can make the pickled onions several days ahead, they keep fine in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced paper thin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices irish soda bread or 4 slices French bread
- spicy mustard (I used Dijon)
- 6 ounces thinly sliced lean corned beef
- 4 ounces sage derby cheese, sliced thin
- Combine onion, vinegar, water, sugar and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat broiler; drain onions.
- Spread thin layers of mayonnaise and mustard on bread slices; top with a portion of drained onions; top with corned beef and cheese.
- Broil 6-8 inches from heat until sandwiches are heated through and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
Tastes great with Irish Soda Bread with Raisins and Caraway (this site).
Wow-this is a great tasting sandwich. The pickled onions really make this special. I used leftover home-cooked corned beef and red onions. I did not have sage Derby cheese, so I used white Cheddar instead - delicious!