Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are the greatest brownies ever. Once you taste them you will never go back. I've tweaked this recipe from Canadian Living's Best Muffins & More cookbook, and now it's at the point where my family and friends have declared me the Goddess of Brownies. One friend even told me these brownies were better than sex. Seriously, they're that good.
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Take two saucepans of roughly equal size. Fill the smaller one about halfway with water. Put the other one on top. Put them on a burner and turn it to just below boiling. You could also use a double boiler.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the saucepan, and remove saucepans from heat. Dump out the water from the bottom one and dry it out.
- Stir the granulated sugar into the chocolate mixture until it's mixed nicely. Slowly add the eggs and the vanilla. Next, stir in the flour and salt.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch cake pan and bake for 12 minutes. (The batter won't be cooked through).
- Meanwhile, in the bottom saucepan, boil the cream, brown sugar, and butter for 3 minutes.
- Drizzle the brownies with the sugar mixture. Do this slowly or it'll go through the surface of the brownie.
- Bake the brownies for another 8-10 minutes. They should be golden, not browned.
- Sprinkle the brownies with the mini chocolate chips (if using,) give them a moment to melt, and then swirl them with the knife.
These did not turn out at all, the brownies never set up, a huge dissapointment for me! I don't think I will try this recipe again
I tried to make this recipe but it did not turn out. The trouble lies with the caramel topping. I followed the recipe exactly except for the optional chocolate chips. The caramel was really runny and soaked into the brownies and they didn't get done. Either the measurements are off on the ingredients or maybe it needs to be cooked longer. Made for PAC Spring 2008.