- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 12 sprigs thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions. Saute until soft and browned (about 20 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, cider, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer soup, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs.
- Serve garnished with fresh chopped thyme.