Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
found this recipe with a twist on one of my favorites
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (bouillon)
- 3⁄4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 French bread, slices thick
- grated parmesan cheese
- To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room temperature and stir rapidly.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add onions and cook until golden; do not brown.
- Add undiluted beef broth, 1 soup can of water, Coca-Cola, salt, vinegar, and pepper. Cover; simmer 20-25 minutes.
- In a broiler, toast one side of the French bread slices. Turn, generously sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toast until browned.
- Ladle soup into deep bowls and top with toast, cheese side up.
Great recipe! I made half the recipe, but used 1/2 cup diet cola and just a dash of vinegar. It tasted just like french onion soup! The cola took the place of the liquor I would normaly use and was perfect! I topped mine with homemade crutons and grated parm cheese. Doing half a recipe made the perfect amount for a side dish or appetizer sized portion for 2. Easy and tasty...my kind of recipe!
I have to say I was to say the least amused with the cola in the recipe and then not only that I used diet cola - I did add 1 tsp of splenda and the taste was great - the onion just comes right up I used fresh parm and it was great