Prep 12 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've always loved onion soup but hate having to spend a lot of money eating it at a restaurant whenever I'm in the mood for it. My recipe is not only cheap to make, but quick and easy. I can whip this up in about 20 minutes. It's also a great company dish or just to enjoy on a cold fall or winter evening.
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced and lightly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 tablespoons marsala or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Gravy Master
- Melt butter in a large saute pan, being careful not to burn the butter.
- Add onions and saute over med-high heat for 6-7 minutes, till translucent and yellow.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and mix in, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add beef broth, Marsala, Worcestershire sauce, and Gravy Master.
- Simmer covered for 25 minutes on low heat to blend flavors.
- Serve in soup bowls or pour into onion crocks and add crusty toast rounds, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Place under broiler for 2 minutes.
- NOTE: Be sure your bowls are ovenproof.