This makes a wonderful side to a prime rib roast, or even stew
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb yellow onion, sliced (can use a little more if desired)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup luke-warm water
- 3/4 cup warm milk (milk must be slightly warm but not hot)
- 1Generously grease eight 6-ounce ramekins or 6-ounce custard cups (or use jumbo muffin tins).
- 2Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in sliced onions, pinch sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper; cook until tender but not browned.
- 4Divide the onions evenly between the muffin tins or ramekins.
- 5In a bowl combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (can use white salt).
- 6In another bowl whisk together eggs, cayenne pepper, water and milk until well blended; add to the flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- 7Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each tin over the onions.
- 8If you are using ramekins place on a baking sheet.
- 9Set oven to 400 degrees F and allow to preheat for about 8 minutes (oven must be very hot!).
- 10Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Popovers/Yorkshire Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.9
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.9 mg
- Sodium 215.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: