Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a wonderful side to a prime rib roast, or even stew
Make and share this Onion Popovers/Yorkshire Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb yellow onion, sliced (can use a little more if desired)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup luke-warm water
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk (milk must be slightly warm but not hot)
- Generously grease eight 6-ounce ramekins or 6-ounce custard cups (or use jumbo muffin tins).
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in sliced onions, pinch sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper; cook until tender but not browned.
- Divide the onions evenly between the muffin tins or ramekins.
- In a bowl combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (can use white salt).
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, cayenne pepper, water and milk until well blended; add to the flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each tin over the onions.
- If you are using ramekins place on a baking sheet.
- Set oven to 400 degrees F and allow to preheat for about 8 minutes (oven must be very hot!).
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.