Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state. The onions are very sweet so this is more of a tea bread than a savory.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until translucent.
- Sift dry ingredients together into mixing bowl.
- Stir in onions and nuts to coat.
- Beat the egg, milk and remaining butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mixed. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Spoon into loaf pan and bake 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Turn out onto wire rack and cool before serving.
Mmmm, this was so good. Easy to make and smelled great while baking. Used a 9x5 inch loaf pan and the baking time was right on spot, one hour.
Made exactly as stated and I am looking forward to take slices with me to work for my coffee break. Have already had one slice when just out of the oven (couldn't wait........) and one slice when it was cooled. Terrific. Yes, this will be made many more times.
Made for LOvE TrAiN, 2012.
I was a little worried.... onions and walnuts and sugar. Well, this was really nice. You would never believe there were onions in it though. (used Vidalias) The walnut taste was actually stronger, (I was surprised) and there was just a hint of sweetness. I would like it to have a bit more 'bite', but I'm not quite sure how to achieve that. The loaf is a bit dense, so you wouldn't need a thick slice. It did however take 1 hour and 20 minutes to bake, but I used an 8 x 4 pan. I think if I had used a 9 x 5, the baking time would be right on. I have wrapped half and put in the freezer, so we'll see how it makes out. This would be perfect on an appetizer tray I think, so just with coffee. It actually went quite well with my supper tonight, which consisted of a bowl of Baked Vegetable Ratatouille. Great bread Mikekey...Thanks! UPDATE: Tried the 'frozen' bread. Wonderful!!! I've had it at room temp, and also toasted. Both versions were terrific. I highly recommend this bread.