1/2 Photos of Onion Lover's Twist Bread
2 hrs 45 mins
Ancient recipe. This is an involved yeast bread but it is beautiful and tasty! The filling could easily be herbs rather than onion. The paprika makes for a nice color in the filling but it could easily be omitted. Add more herbs though to absorb the butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml dry yeast
- 118.29 ml hot water
- 946.36 ml flour, divided
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml milk
- 7.39 ml salt
- 59.14 ml margarine or 59.14 ml butter
- 1 egg
- 1Heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- 2Grease two cookie sheets.
- 3In a large bowl dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup hot water (105 degrees).
- 4Add 2 cups flour, the sugar, milk, salt, butter and egg, blending at low speed until moistened.
- 5Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- 6Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 7Cover and let rise in a warm and dry place until double in bulk, 45-60 minutes.
- 8Combined all filling ingredients.
- 9Stir down dough and divide in half.
- 10Roll each half out to a 18x12" rectangle on a floured surface.
- 11Cut length-wise in to three 4x18 inch strips.
- 12Transfer strips to a cookie sheet.
- 13Fill each strip with filling.
- 14Use a brush to lightly dampen edges with water and pinched closed.
- 15Braid the three strips like a pony tail, being sure to pinch ends tightly.
- 16Tuck them under a bit for a beautiful loaf.
- 17Repeat with second dough on a second sheet.
- 18Let rise until double, about 45-60 minutes.
- 19Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- 20Brush with butter when removed from the oven for a glossy finish if desired.
- 21serve warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Lover's Twist Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1073 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1562.7
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 177.5 mg
- Sodium 2287.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 227.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 27.7 g
- Protein 36.0 g