Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderfully light side dish FULL of flavor. Try it with My Honey-Lemon Chicken (Honey-Lemon Chicken) found here at Recipezaar.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons horseradish
- 4 large red onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 slices bacon, fried until crisp (Save 1 tbsp of grease)
- 1 (16 ounce) canchopped beets
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 large red bell pepper
- Combine sour cream and horseradish; chill until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Halve and peel red onion; CAREFULLY remove the outer TWO rings and place into shallow baking dish; upside down.
- Brush with oil and add 1/2 of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Fry bacon.
- Chop peppers, garlic, and remaining onion; brown in leftover bacon grease for about 5 minutes.
- Place beets, rosemary, and remaining salt/pepper into pan with garlic and peppers; cook another 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn roasted onions right-side up and place veggies into each cup, stuffing until all mixture is used.
- Top with crumbled bacon.
- Return to oven and roast another 5 minutes.
- Serve with horseradish/sour cream sauce.
The sauce was the best, I will try it on alot of other stuff.
A lovely side dish,this I will make again,I did,t have canned beets(not common here in S/Africa)so used cooked fresh ones.
This looked very impressive with Christmas dinner. I placed the onions around the standing rib roast and used the same horseradish sauce for both. They were delicious and got rave reviews...I think they thought I went to alot of trouble, but it was easy. I did all but the last 5 minutes early, too...bonus! Thanks for the great onion recipe without loads of cheese!