Recipe by Kerena
This is another recipe from our neighbor Kathy Miedema. She noted it is "Super yummy and easy. Also easy to adjust (if you can't find poppy seeds for example). The recipe is originally from Better Homes and Gardens "75 Years of All-Time Favorites" 1997.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups biscuit mix (such as Bisquick)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced and cooked (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8x1 1/2" round baking pan. Set aside.
- Cook chopped onion in 1 Tablespoon of the margarine until tender.
- Stir together the milk and egg. Add to biscuit mix. Stir until moistened. Add the onion mixture, half of the cheese and 1/2 of the poppy seeds to biscuit mix mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and poppy seeds. If desired, arrange cooked onion slices on top.
- Melt remaining margarine; drizzle over mixture in pan. Bake in 400 degree oven about 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.