Simple Vegan Banana Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. grease a 8x4" loaf pan.
- Mash the bananas with a fork in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and water and mix well.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bananas. mix well (if you want to add choco chips, walnuts, or carob chips, nows the time to do so).
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean. let cool completly before slicing, if you can wait that long lol.
Join The Conversation
This was a great success! The outside is crisp, just under that layer there is a little chew, then moist perfectly sweet banana bread. After reading the reviews I made some changes to the recipe, plus, I like to do my own thing, but for the most part I stayed true to the recipe. I used 5 medium sized frozen bananas (all uneaten bananas make their way to the freezer for smoothies and baking). I added roughly 1/4 cup of Dark Muscovado brown sugar (from India Tree I bought at Whole Foods). This has a rich and spicy flavor. Two teaspoons of vanilla (I do that for all my cookie recipes too). Half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. 1/2 cup pecans in the batter and another 1/4 cup pecans on top of the bread along with a sprinkling of decorative white sugar. I used a thick light metal bread pan and baked it at 350 for roughly 60 minutes, and used a cake tester at the 40 and 50 minute interval to be sure it wouldn't overbake (oven temps can vary). When I took it out there was a tiny bit of moisture on the tester, but I knew that it would cook out while it rested on the counter - and there is nothing worse than dry banana bread. I just had a nice big slice and it is delish! I think I'll have just one more tiny slice... Thanks for sharing this recipe.