This is a recipe that is easliy doubled and keeps fresh for a long time. The onion flavor is light and is wonderful with soups and stews.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and allow to stand still 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, remaining water, butter,sugar and salt, mix well and add to yeast mixture.
- Add chives, poppy seeds and one cup flour.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour at a time till dough is stiff and begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- (Aprox 2 cups in total.) Turn dough onto floured surface and knead 2 more cups of flour inches Shape dough into a ball, place in a oiled bowl, rotate once and cover ball with oil.
- Allow to raise till doubled punch down and form two loaves.
- Place loaves in oiled 9x5 pans and bake 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake additional 25-30 minutes.