Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that is easliy doubled and keeps fresh for a long time. The onion flavor is light and is wonderful with soups and stews.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chives
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 6 cups flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and allow to stand still 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, remaining water, butter,sugar and salt, mix well and add to yeast mixture.
- Add chives, poppy seeds and one cup flour.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour at a time till dough is stiff and begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- (Aprox 2 cups in total.) Turn dough onto floured surface and knead 2 more cups of flour inches Shape dough into a ball, place in a oiled bowl, rotate once and cover ball with oil.
- Allow to raise till doubled punch down and form two loaves.
- Place loaves in oiled 9x5 pans and bake 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake additional 25-30 minutes.
I made this bread today to serve with steak. Mmm good, and the heavenly smell wafting through the house, wish you could have been here !! Everyone is asking why there is a piece broken off the end, well, I just couldn't help myself, lol ! I can't wait to wow some company with this bread