Onion-Apple Soup Au Gratin
- Preheat oven grill.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, apples and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Sprinkle with flour and stir well. Pour in cider and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef stock and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Pour into six ovenproof individual soup bowls. Place a slice of toasted bread on soup in each bowl. Top with grated cheese and green onions.
- Place soup bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil under grill until cheese bubbles and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
- VARIATION: Replace cider by red beer and goat’s cheese by smoked Gouda.