Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The batter keeps in the refrigerator up to one week, so you can have freshly-baked muffins on your table in next to no time. For variety, add currants, dried cranberries or other dried chopped fruit before baking.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
- Stir flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend; mix in cereal; whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs and zest in medium bowl to blend; mix into dry ingredients; cover and refrigerate; this mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week; it will thicken over time.
- Preheat oven to 400F; line 18 muffin cups with liners.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup; bake until tester comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
This recipe is going into my keep file for SURE! I had to change a few things. I used 2 cups skim milk and 2 TBS vinegar instead of the buttermilk, which I never have here. I also didn't have any oranges to zest, so I left that out. I always put cinnamon and vanilla in baked stuff, so I added 1tsp of each. These were soooo very moist!<br/><br/>Oh, and I put some crumble topping on them because my mom loves it! Froze 12 of them and left 6 out for her to have in the mornings! Thanks for the great recipe!
These were lovely, tender, cake-like and moist muffins! I loved the added orange zest; I probably added closer to 1Tbsp zest which tinted the muffins a sunny yellow. They were quite sweet. These would make fine afternoon tea or brunch muffins. I baked them at 375 for about 20 min. Thanks for posting!
There is a similar recipe to this on Zaar. That one has a cooking temp of 400 for 15 to 20 min. When I cooked this one I did use 425 but only for 15 min. The muffins were burned on the bottom and too brown on top. The oven was either too hot or the time too long. Maybe it was my oven but I don't think so as the other recipe (120183) worked very well. Sorry this just did not do it for me.