Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
The Six O’Clock Scramble
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 lbs bone-in chicken thighs (or boneless chicken thighs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (or white rice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large white potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- In a big stock pot, heat the oil over med-high heat; add in the chicken and brown it for about 2 minutes per side.
- Add in the onion, carrots, garlic, and chili powder; cook the mixture for about 5 minutes more, until the vegetables soften slightly.
- In a strainer, rinse the quinoa thoroughly with cold water.
- Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes, and quinoa; bring the liquid to a boil, decrease the heat, and simmer the stew for 30-40 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the spinach and let it wilt for about 2 minutes; check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
This was yummy and quick! I used boneless/skinless chicken bresat cut into chunks, forgot the can of tomatos (opps!) so I cubed one fresh tomato, used rice and added a half rib of celery (chopped). It was also really good the next day as the rice absorbed more of the flavours....deeeelicious!
Wow this was great!! I used rice and whole plum tomatoes,as I was out of crushed,also out of chili powder so used afew other spices.Both of us enjoyed it so much,I will freeze the rest for another day,but will make again thank you.