Sue Lau's Note:
One-Eyed Jack, notorious gunslinger in his youth, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, much less a buffalo for chili. So he became a vegetarian in his older days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (other oil ok)
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
For the 1st Spice Dump
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Bulgar wheat
For the 2nd spice Dump
- 1Heat oil in a large pot; add garlic and allow to sizzle until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- 2Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until onions are tender, several minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, green chilies, vegetable broth, and spices from first spice dump; stir thoroughly.
- 4Bring mixture to a boil, then stir in bulgur wheat.
- 5Reture to a boil, if necessary, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- 6Add spices and chiles from second spice dump, and mix together thoroughly.
- 7Add kidney beans, if using.
- 8Simmer 10 more minutes and remove from heat; serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One-Eyed Jack's Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (2325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 365.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: