Recipe by momthecook #2
This is almost as easy as making a cake mix, and has the advantage of using no eggs.
Top Review by AngAustinBrody
This cake came out pretty tasty! I did make a few modifications. Since I am on a dairy-free diet I subsituted the buttermilk for 2 tbsp vinegar + rice milk to make the 1 cup. I also used whole wheat flour. Also, I sliced apple and placed it on the bottom of the pan, and then topped with the cake mixture. The apples floated to the middle of the cake and it was almost like an apple pie. YUM!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except slice almonds and icing sugar in a bowl.
- Note: If you don't have buttermilk, put 2 teaspoons of vinegar in the measuring cup and fill to one cup with regular milk.
- Mix at low speed until all ingredients are moistened.
- Scrape down bowl.
- Turn mixer to high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9" by 13" pan and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the icing sugar. (I use my tea strainer to shake the sugar over the cake. Just put the sugar in the strainer and tap it.).