Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Best venison recipe I've ever tried, and one of the very best chilis, too.
Make and share this Olympic Peninsula Black Bean Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 lbs boneless venison, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder (NOT a typo!)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, crushed
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot chicken broth
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Transfer to a small bowl, set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the same Dutch oven, and brown, in batches, the cubed venison.
- Add the onion/garlic mixture to the browned venison and add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the beans. Cook for 2 hours or more, unitl the meat is fork-tender.
- Add beans, and heat through. Taste to see if it needs more salt and/or pepper. Serve hot, good with brown rice.