Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
We love roasted chicken and this is wonderful change from the normal. We love feta cheese too! I found this in a magazine years ago & cut it out. I have no idea what magazine it was from. I have no idea why it was called "Olympia Chicken."
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole broiler-fryer chickens
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon seasoning (use what you like I use Italian you can eyeball this)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (regular pepper just doesn't give it that 'zing')
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a mixing bowl stir together lemon juice, olive oil & pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Starting at the edge of the breast, slip your fingers between the skin and meat, loosening the skin as you work toward the neck end. With your entire hand under the skin, carefully free the skin around the thigh and leg area up to, but not around, the tip of the drumsticks.
- Using your hands, carefully stuff the feta cheese under the skin, filling the drumstick-thigh area first, working up to the breast. Press gently on the skin to distribute the feta cheese throughout the space underneath the chicken skin.
- Rub the lemon-oil mixture over entire bird.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan.
- Roast uncovered for 1 ¼ - 1 ¾ hours or until drumsticks move easily and meat is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from oven. Loosely cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes before carefully you cut up chicken.