Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
This is something I made today because I wanted olive & cheese bread. This would be good with some oregano added to the cheese part or some tomato paste smeared over the cheese part before the cheese is put onto the dough.
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, tepid
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (strong flavoured is best)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced & well drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 4 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a large measuring cup. Add the yeast & stir until combined. Leave until the yeast is frothy (about 10-15 minutes).
- Grate the cheese & drain the olives - put to one side.
- Put the flour & salt into a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture & olive oil. Stir until well combined.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured bench & knead for 5-10 mintues, or until the dough is elastic & smooth.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll the first part out into a long rectangle, approximately 6in by 14in. Thickness of the dough doesn't matter.
- Evenly scatter the grated cheese & half of the crushed garlic over the dough, gently press the cheese down, and fold the short end (at each end) in over the cheese (approx 1 inch).
- Start rolling the long side of the dough over swiss roll style, the aim is to end up with a long sausage with the filling fully contained within it. Gently press the seam to flatten & turn over to rest seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, this time using the olives & half of the crushed garlic.
- Place the two sausages side by side, seam side down, and weave them over each other creating a spiral/braid.
- Place onto a baking paper lined sheet & cover with a clean dry cloth. Leave until doubled in size (about 1 hour or so).
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until golden on top.