Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from What's Cooking America.
- 8 ounces black olives in brine, pitted (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper (about 5-6 turns of the grinder)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- In a food processor(or blender), place olives, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper. Blend until a little chunky.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend for several hours.
- Return mixture to food processor and add red pepper flakes, basil, and capers; blend until mixture is smooth and spreadable. Season with more salt to taste if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving(can be prepared 4 days ahead).
- Serve at room temperature with Italian bread, crackers, pita toasts, etc. Enjoy!
Delicious! I loved the combo of flavors...it was very reminiscent of my favorite muffaletta sandwich. The red pepper added just the right amount of bite. The only change I made was to add about a TB of chopped roasted red bell pepper for a bit of visual interest. (I don't think I could really taste it). I served with pita crisps. Garlicky goodness!
I've been wanting to makes this recipe for sometime now, and now I know why. It is fabulous. It doesn't look the prettiest, but the taste is amazing. Thanks for posting.
A little hot, spicy and salty, this spread went great atop some Ritz crackers for a snack! We loved this and will be having it again! Thanks!