Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another recipe from the Company's Coming series. I didn't want to take the chance in losing it! This is one of my kids favorite soups. Very versatile. You can add or remove anything your family would like. I also make a large pot of this so I can freeze some.
- 1 lb hamburger
- water, to cover
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 3 cups beets, cut into strips
- 1 cup pearl barley
- beet leaf, chopped
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- sour cream (optional)
- I sometimes use spare ribs or soup bone. Put them in a pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is tender. If using hamburger, brown in soup pot then add water for soup.
- Add onion, carrot, cabbage, beet and barley. Simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add beet leaves, peas, salt, pepper, vinegar and dill weed. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in whipping cream. If you don't have whipping cream you can use milk or nothing.
- Pass sour cream around the table so people can put a spoonful (or two) on top in their bowls. YUM YUM!