Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A traditional pineapple upside-down cake cooked in a cast-iron skillet. I guess you could use a regular cake pan as well. I found in an article on "skillet" recipes years ago--sounded strange, but it is very good.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced pineapple
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Melt 1/3 cup of the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; stir in brown sugar until well blended.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup.
- Arrange pineapple slices close together in butter-sugar mixture.
- Center each slice with a cherry.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites until foamy in medium bowl.
- Beat in 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time until meringue stands in soft peaks.
- With same beater, beat remaining 1/3 cup butter with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and the 2 tablespoons reserved pineapple syrup.
- Fold meringue until no streaks of white remain.
- Pour over pineapple in skillet.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- Cool cake in skillet on wire rack for 10 minutes; then invert over serving plate.
- Allow skillet to remain over a cake a minute for syrup to drain from pan.
- Serve warm or cold.
I agree with the others, this is a pretty dog gone good cake...Easy to make...When I make it again, I may cut back on the brown sugar...
Wonderful cake!!!! Nice and moist and dense. I used whole wheat pastry flour and a springform pan instead of the cast-iron skillet. It worked great!! I kind of got scared at step 11 because I had thought on step 8 you were to mix in everything to the meringue at that point. It turned out great and I just ignored step 11. I love the ingredients of this with the sour cream and lemon zest, this will be my upside-down cake recipe from now on. Thanks!!!!
So, this is how good this recipe is...I completely made a mess of it & it still worked out beautifully!First, I had no measuring cups (@ b/f's),so nothing was correct.I had baking soda,not powder.The mixing of the cream & dry ingredients was so sticky that the beaters wouldn't go through it.I kneaded it instead!Lol.Then I "folded" in the whites with my hands!I dumped it all in a bread pan, crossed my fingers & baked it for 1/2 an hour.It looked beautiful so took a bite.Yummy!