1/4 Photos of Old Fashioned Upside-Down Cake
A traditional pineapple upside-down cake cooked in a cast-iron skillet. I guess you could use a regular cake pan as well. I found in an article on "skillet" recipes years ago--sounded strange, but it is very good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1Melt 1/3 cup of the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; stir in brown sugar until well blended.
- 2Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup.
- 3Arrange pineapple slices close together in butter-sugar mixture.
- 4Center each slice with a cherry.
- 5Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper.
- 6Beat egg whites until foamy in medium bowl.
- 7Beat in 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time until meringue stands in soft peaks.
- 8With same beater, beat remaining 1/3 cup butter with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.
- 9Beat in egg yolks, lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla.
- 10Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and the 2 tablespoons reserved pineapple syrup.
- 11Fold meringue until no streaks of white remain.
- 12Pour over pineapple in skillet.
- 13Bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- 14Cool cake in skillet on wire rack for 10 minutes; then invert over serving plate.
- 15Allow skillet to remain over a cake a minute for syrup to drain from pan.
- 16Serve warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.2
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 99.8 mg
- Sodium 440.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of