Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
These were my favorite rolls growing up.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Pan Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml milk, scalded
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into pieces
- 2 package active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml warm water (105 - 115)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1419.54-1537.83 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- In a large bowl, pour milk over ½ cup butter. Stir occasionally until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast and ¼ t. sugar over water. Let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Stir remaining sugar, eggs, salt and yeast mixture into milk mixture. Stir in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour to make soft dough. Cover, let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead for 8-10 minutes or until no longer sticky, adding as little extra flour as possible. Divide dough in half. Place half of dough into a greased bowl. Turn to coat surface. Cover and refrigerate. Shape remaining dough into 12 2-inch balls. Place on a greased 9 x 1 ½ inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until almost doubled- about 55 minutes.
- Bake in pre-heated 375° oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Brush with butter. Cool on a wire rack.
- To bake refrigerated dough: follow shaping, rising and baking instructions, allowing about 1 hour and 45 minutes for rising.
I made half of recipe using 1 egg. I made it in the automatic bread machine and put the rolls in two 9" cake pans. It turned out fantastic.
Wonderful rolls! Best yeast rolls I have baked, ever. Light, fluffy, delicious. I, too, made a half recipe with 2 beaten eggs, holding back 1/2 egg for egg wash with water. Did not knead, as I wanted to see what would happen, if I didn't. YUM! Slathered on butter, garlic, parsley topping after baking. Delicious. Thanks so much.
I whipped these up to go with my Chicken Pot Pie, and they were great! I dipped mine in the gravy as I ate. My hubby ate 3 and gives them 2 thumbs up, so it's 5 stars for us!