Old Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Icing
- Ready In:
- 2 (8 ounce) envelopes dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to 110 degrees
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 -5 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- optional nuts, raisins, craisins or chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/3 cup sugar, salt, milk, oil and eggs. Gradually add flour to make medium - stiff dough. Knead well on lightly-floured surface and turn into greased bowl. Let rise in warm place until double in size. Roll out dough to make 8 x 20 rectangle. Brush with 1/2 melted butter. Mix brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon (add optional items here) and sprinkle over dough. On long side, start rolling into a tight log. Make sure the curl is tight and well packed. Slice into rolls - approx 32. In 12 x 15 pan and 11 x 13 casserole, melt 1/4 c butter. Brush butter along all the sides and corners. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of brown sugar in each. Place the roll slices in the pan/casserole. Place in warm place to rise. When the rolls are approximately double the size, heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes until tops are lightly browned. While baking, make cream cheese icing by beating together the 8 ounces cream cheese and softened 1/4 cup margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 cups confectioners' sugar and 1 - 2 tablespoon milk (if it seems too thick, add milk to thin).
- When the rolls come out of the oven, turn the pan/ casserole onto serving platter or large plate. Drizzle with cream cheese icing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!