Recipe by grandma2969
These are wonderful..came up with the recipe while trying to use up green tomatoes at the end of the season.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
FILLING for cookies
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind and juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and tomato pieces. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Add grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, stir well and heat again to bubbling. Chill thoroughly.
- For the cookie batter, cream granulated sugar and butter till fluffy. Add egg and milk and blend well. In a small bowl, combine flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add to creamed mixture and blend well Chill at least 1 hour.
- To assemble cookies, roll chilled dough to 1/8" thickness and cut cookies with the outer ring of a doughnut cutter, or cookie cutter. Top half the cookies with 1 tbls of chilled filling. Using the center ring from the remaining half of the cut out cookies and place on top of filled halves. Crimp edges with a fork to seal and bake in a 350* oven 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.