Recipe by b4uc1or2
This recipe was given to me by a friend in 1960. The recipe was her mother's. I have made it every Thanksgiving since. It always gets rave reviews.
- 6 cups cornbread (broken)
- 4 cups biscuits (broken)
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped, including green)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 4 eggs (well beaten)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sage (or to taste, I like a lot more)
- 8 cups stock (from giblets, or milk or water)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using cornbread mix such as Jiffy, make sure there is no sugar in the mix. It will ruin your dressing. I make my own cornbread.
- I buy canned bisquits and bake them.
- The amount of stock is approximately You may need to add more. The uncooked dressing should be very moist, (almost runny).
- In a very large bowl soak cornbread and biscuits in stock.
- Cook in l l/3 cup hot fat, chopped onion, green onion and celery.
- Add vegetables to cornbread mixture.
- Add eggs and seasonings to cornbread mixture.
- Mix well.
- Bake in a shallow uncovered pan in 325 deg. oven for 1 hour.