Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This soup is so good
- 16 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken broth and chicken in heavy large pot. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Cool chicken and broth slightly. Discard skin and bones from chicken.
- Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces and reserve.
- Spoon fat off top of chicken broth.
- Return broth to simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery. Simmer until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Cover chicken meat and broth separately and refrigerate.
- Bring broth to boil before continuing.).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Add mushrooms to broth; stir in noodles, parsley and reserved chicken.
- Simmer until noodles are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.