Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been looking for good, southern chicken and dumplings for years. Hoping this one is the answer. Recipe is courtesy of http://hugsfromhome.wordpress.com/
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces (during the holidays you can get a fresh hen)
- 2 quarts cold water (always put your raw chicken in cold water &ndash, you&rsquo,ll get a much richer broth)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 5 -7 tablespoons cold water
- Add the chicken to the stew pot.
- Add salt, onion, carrot, celery, and black pepper.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a low boil.
- Foam will form on the water as it begins to boil.
- Skim the foam from the water.
- Stew chicken until tender with the salt, onion, carrot and celery ribs, about 40 – 60 minutes after liquid gets to a low boil. Cooking time depends on the size of your chicken or hen.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and discard the vegetables.
- While the chicken cools, make the dumplings. Mix 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1/3 cup shortening.
- 5-7 tablespoons cold water.
- Work the dough and roll out on a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough very thin about ⅛”.
- Cut into 1″ wide strips and let dry for about 30 minutes.
- remove chicken from the bones.
- Cut or pull the chicken into desired-size pieces.
- Add pepper and butter to broth and heat to simmering. Broth should look peppery and taste great.
- Add 1 can evaporated milk to broth.
- Before adding your dumplings to the milk broth, add a touch of grated nutmeg to the broth.
- Add the chicken pieces and heat. (Broth needs to be several inches above the chicken for the dumplings to have enough room to cook.).
- Add the dumplings to the low boiling broth a few at a time to keep the broth at a boil.
- Cook 10 minutes in the low boiling broth. (If you boil your broth too high, your dumplings will disappear or clump together.).
- Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes and serve.