Recipe by grandma2969
Found this handwritten in an old "receipt" book. Have not tried it myself yet.
- 3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 1 cup of sugar into heavy pan and place over low heat.
- Begin stirring with wooden spoon and keep sugar moving; it will take about 15 minutes to completely melt all sugar and it should be the color of light brown sugar syrup.
- Pour remaining sugar, together with 1 cup milk, in heavy kettle and set over low heat to cook slowly while you are melting sugar.
- As soon as the sugar is melted, begin pouring it into kettle of boiling milk.
- Pour slowly, continue cooking and stirring just until mixture is 238 degrees to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn out the fire and immediately add baking soda, stirring hard as it foams up.
- As soon as soda is mixed, add butter; it will melt as you stir.
- Set pan of candy off the stove for 20 minutes until lukewarm.
- Add vanilla and begin beating using a wooden spoon.
- Beat until mixture is thickened and glossy.
- Add broken nuts and mix.
- Turn into a buttered pan.