Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
good on a cold day
- 1 lb beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large yellow onion, large dice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth (water and beef bouillon can be substituted)
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- frozen vegetables, like corn and peas (optional)
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; saute until browned. Remove and place on a plate. Add onions and saute lightly.
- Return beef to pot, stir in tomato paste and beef broth. (Add 4 cups now, it should just cover the meat. If you need more liquid later you can add the additional 2 cups.)
- Bring soup to a simmer and cover for an hour and 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and potato. Simmer an additional 20 minutes. Add corn and peas, if desired, and simmer another 5 minutes.