- 2 onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, trimmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 2 celery ribs, chopped medium
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef blade steak, trimmed
- 3 ounces wide egg noodles (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave onions, garlic, tomato paste, oil, and thyme in bowl, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, mushrooms, carrots, celery, soy sauce, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Cook egg noodles in boiling salted water until tender, then drain.
- Stir cooked noodles and shredded beef into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.