Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
these are really delicious
- 4 cups tart red cherries, washed, pitted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- preheat the oven to 400* in a shallow 2 quart casserole or 12x7" pan, combine the cherries, 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the brown sugar, tapioca and almond extract.
- allow this to stand while you prepare the rest of the dumplings.
- in a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- cut in 4 tbls of the butter until fine crumbs are formed.
- in a small bowl, bet the egg and add the milk.
- combine with the flour mixture and stir unti just blended.
- dot the cherries with the remaining 2 tbls of butter.
- drop the batter by heaping tablespoons on top of the cherries.
- you should have about 6 mounds.
- in a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tblspoons of sugar with the nutmeg.
- sprinkle on top of the butter.
- bake for 25-30 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling up in the middle of the pan and the dumplings are golden brown.
- the baking time can vary quite a bit, depending on the pan you use the how big the cherries are.