1/2 Photos of Oktoberfest Strudel With Mustard Sauce
This is a great dish with apples, sauerkraut and bratwurst. Depending on how you serve it, it makes a great appetizer as well as an entree. Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup melted german butter
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups drained german wine-cured sauerkraut
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/4 cup german sweet mustard
- 1 lb bratwurst, thinly sliced
FOR THE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons butter, and saute onion for 3 minutes or until clear.
- 3Add diced apple and sauté 3 more minutes.
- 4Remove from heat, stir in sauerkraut and caraway, mixing well.
- 5On a large baking sheet, lay out one sheet of phyllo and fold in half lengthways and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter.
- 6Repeat layering.
- 7Spread mustard over last layer of phyllo.
- 8Then spread sauerkraut filling along the long lengthwise side to the center of the dough leaving a 1-1/2 inch border around the edges.
- 9Top sauerkraut with bratwurst slices; roll jellyroll-style folding in the short edges.
- 10Place seam-side down on pan; brush top with butter.
- 11Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 12MEANWHILE PREPARE MUSTARD SAUCE:.
- 13In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, stir in flour to form a smooth past.
- 14Slowly stir in cream and continue stirring to keep lumps from forming.
- 15Whisk in mustard and heat through.
- 16TO SERVE:.
- 17For an appetizer, slice into 8 portions, as an entree, 4. Slice warm strudel and serve in a pool of mustard sauce. Sprinkle mustard sauce with the paprika.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oktoberfest Strudel With Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1749.9
- Calories from Fat 1357
- Total Fat 150.8 g
- Saturated Fat 65.9 g
- Cholesterol 390.3 mg
- Sodium 3351.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 52.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: