Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A really easy but rich recipe for using okra. From the Not-so-humble vegetable cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (400 g) cans tomatoes, undrained, crushed
- 500 g okra
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Heat oil in large pan; cook onions and garlic, stirring until onions are soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients; simmer uncovered about 30 minutes or until okra is tender.
This was nice. Made it with your Leeks with Shrimp recipe and a rice and dal. The shrimp once again stole the thunder. I omitted the red wine and used fresh tomatoes and some slit green chillies as well. Also had your Banana dessert after the meal. Wish you were with us in person too :) Fay