Recipe by eatrealfood
I love okra but I don't like the slipperiness of it in several recipes. In this recipe, I pan-fry the okra first to seal the surface before adding it to liquids, which is when it seems to release its sliminess.
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (can omit)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra, rinsed and dried
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 2 green chilies
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- cilantro, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice okra into 1/2-inch pieces and brown in skillet for 8-10 minutes (you may need to add a dab of oil if it sticks to your skillet).
- In a blender, process the ginger, garlic chilies, tomato, coconut milk, tamarind, coriander and cumin until they form a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil, add the this processed paste, and cook until golden brown, about 6-8mins.
- Add the turmeric and salt to taste.
- Add 1/4cup water, bring to a boil and simmer until the gracy thickens to your liking.
- Mix in the okra and simmer another 5min or so to infuse flavors.
- Sprinkle with garam masala, some cilantro and serve.