A delicious dessert to serve during apple season. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1984)
Make and share this October Apple Cake With Hot Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
For the caramel sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray a 8-inch square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray (Pam) or grease pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar. Beat in egg. Stir in flour, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Fold in apples.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cake is done and toothpick comes clean when inserted in cake.
- Cut in squares when cool and serve with hot caramel sauce (recipe follows).
- To make caramel sauce melt butter in saucepan over low heat and then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove caramel sauce from heat and serve over apple cake squares.