Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Do not use instant oatmeal.
1 1/2 pound loaf
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour or 1 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3⁄4 cup pitted dates
- Measure all ingredients except dates into baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Insert pan into the oven chamber.
- Select Sweet Cycle, Light Crust.
- Add dates at the "add ingredient" signal.
- When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.
This bread is delicious! My mom and I both love it just "plain" without even any spread! It's addicting - we just can't seem to leave it alone! I substituted raisins for the dates and this worked well. I also used additional flour and oatmeal, as the dough was quite sticky (processed it with the dough blade of my food processor). Have made it three times and will definitely make it again soon! And the best part is, it's nearly fat-free!!!