Oatmeal is a healthful way to start your day and these muffins are full of nutrition and good taste.
- 1 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1 cup apple, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup flavored yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- Combine oats, apple, maple syrup, yogurt, egg and oil in a medium sized bowl.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and nuts.
- Fold the liquid ingredients into flour mixture until just combined; do not overmix.
- Spoon batter into 12 large paperlined muffin tins.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I really wished I liked these, but I just didn't. I don't know what I did wrong, but my muffins were very dry and had a somewhat bitter aftertaste remniscent of baking soda or powder (?). I made these in the hopes of tempting my little one into eating a healthy breakfast...she couldn't get past taking a bite (spit it out). I'll eat them, cause I can't stand to see them wasted, but I don't think I'll make them again. UPDATE: I've since decided my AP flour was contaminated w/ self-rising and causing bitterness everywhere...this recipe may be better than I made it!
Scrumptious muffins! Followed the recipe exactly, except for substituting whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose. I chose to go with walnuts, plain yogurt and I used a granny smith as the apple. Easy to throw together (as a muffin should be!) and wonderful flavor and texture. I don't know if the maple flavor is really distinct per se, but it adds a wonderful sweetness and does contribute very much to the overall flavor of these tasty muffins. Really delightful flavor- mildly appley and maple and very tender on the inside and sort of crunchy on top. These puffed up beautifully for me and they sure are lookers! I have to agree with Kree, I can hardly believe that these are good for me! Thanks for another great recipe, Geema!
Very good muffins. We used one container of greek yogurt which is probablly about the amount called for and raisins instead of nuts. Thanks for sharing!