Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great after-school snack or healthy treat for kids of all ages. The barley malt syrup gives it a very unique flavor, plus you can use any kind of nut or nut butter that you and your family like! Super-easy to make, so your kids can help too. These are best after they have sat for a couple of hours to let the oats soften up a bit. Enjoy!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup barley malt syrup
- 1⁄3 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup almonds or 1⁄4 cup walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts or 1⁄4 cup any other nuts or 1⁄4 cup a combination of any kind nuts, roasted and chopped
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Moisten your hands slightly, and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- I do this with my stand mixer instead of my hands.
- Moisten your hands to prevent sticking, and form the mixture into equal sized balls or press into a pan and slice into bars.
I am embarrassed that I have not commented. I have been using this recipe for years. The only slight change I made was instead of barley malt, (it is not available here in Israel) I use a combination of date syrup and honey/agave. That at combination is much sweeter so I cut down the amount of sweetener.
Goodness. I have no idea what these are. A non bake barley, almond malt cinnamon goodness. I added chopped, toasted walnuts and rolled into balls that stuck together perfectly. I've put them in the fridge to harden up a little but these are VERY tasty. Thanks for posting.
This snack/dessert is sooo tasty! My cousin (~Harriet~) and I made them last night when craving sweets (or at least, I was, LOL) and they were so quick, and the simple combo of ingredients was perfect. Admittedly we had no barley malt syrup so we subbed 1/4 cup maple syrup. They didn't stick together as well, but the taste is what counts! Thanks very much!