Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This is a delicious accompaniment to any roasted meat. You can vary the rice a bit by using a combination of white, brown and wild rice or any combination of rice or other grains so long as the total amount adds up to 1 cup.
Top Review by Outta Here
Very good dish. Great with a rack of pork roast and fresh steamed asparagus. I used the almonds, but want to try with pine nuts, also. I used a wild/brown rice blend from Lundbergs, that has 3-4 types of rice in it. The sherry gives it a nutty flavor, and the fresh parsely is a nice touch.
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered or 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-stick frying pan or toaster oven, slowly toast almonds. Set aside. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, carrot, garlic and mushrooms; saute until tender.
- Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add broth, sherry, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Toss with nuts and parsley and serve.