Just the like cookies I grew up with. Fun the make with your kids.
Make and share this Nutter Butter Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and the sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg, salt and peanut butter and beat until well blended.
- Put the oats in a blender or a food processor and grind away until they are almost as finely ground as flour.
- Add the oats and the flour to the mixture and blend well.
- Pinch out small portions of the dough and roll into 1 inch balls in the palm of your hand.
- Press these flat on an ungreased cookie sheet so that they form 2 inch circles.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until light brown around the edges.
- While the cookies are baking, combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the cookies have cooled down, use a butter knife to spread a thin layer of filling on the flat side of a cookie and then press another one on top.
- Repeat till all the cookies and the filling are use up.