Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Simple. Delicious. Different.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts (any kind you like)
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and stir together.
- Reserve a small amount of the flour mixture and mix in the nuts.
- Combine orange juice and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and juice mixture alternately to creamed mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- (I do flour-liquid-flour-liquid-flour).
- Stir in floured nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350F oven about 50 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
This is a good basic quick bread recipe. I used the orange juice as the liquid and as Jellyqueen suggested, added some orange zest as well. Made a tasty and moist bread. Thanks for sharing, Mae.
This is a really great recipe. It goes together in just a few minutes and makes a beautiful bread. I used the orange juice instead of milk and I like the citrus taste. I think nest time I make this, I am going to add a little orange zest also.
Very, very good , simple to make, moist and tasty. I used Orange juice. This will be very good toasted, Thank you MaeEast for posting the recipe.