Recipe by Sharon123
A great blend of flavors that goes so nicely in a sandwich! Adapted from The Nut Gourmet cookbook by Zel Allen.
Top Review by beauchef
Wow! This sandwich brought back some childhood memories from the late 50s! Same recipe with the exception, my mom added dates. Sometimes she would sub cream cheese for mayo. Hmm__MM!
- 3 large carrots, peeled, finely shredded
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, finely ground (or pecans, or cashews)
- 8 green olives, minced
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped (or roasted red pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 8 slices whole grain bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix carrots, walnuts (or pecans), olives, pimientos, garlic in a bowl.
- Add enough mayonnaise to moisten them well and hold the ingredients together.
- Fold in basil.
- Spread each slice of bread with a little mayonnaise and place the carrot/walnut mixture on 4 of the slices.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Cut in half and enjoy!