Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious sauce that goes well with Vietnamese soups and appetizers; if you find it too strong, try increasing the sugar in the recipe a little bit and adding a little water.
- 2 red chili peppers, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 teaspoons sugar or 1 1⁄2 packages artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup water
- Mash peppers, garlic and sugar into a paste, using mortar and pestle.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and water.
- Blend well.
- Seal and refrigerate.
I was so surprised to find this recipe on here. I would always watch my mother make this and we put it on just about everything we ate. I always used to see her put a chili paste in it and add distilled white vinegar. Hope this adds some more flavor in your nuoc mam. Thanks for posting this recipe!
Very yummy! My husband added a bit of vinegar and a bit more sugar and it was soooo good!
Excellent -- quite similar to the fish sauce at our favorite vietnamese restaurant. I served it on the side in individual bowls and we poured it over our cooked rice noodles. Such a nice change from our usual fare. Thank you Sue L.