Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
A simple red pepper makes a bright-colored and bright-flavored side salad usually served with grilled Bratwurst and Kartoffelsalat (potato salad) in Bavaria. After searching for a recipe for years, I've reconstructed it to my taste using techniques from other German and Polish recipes. Looks right to me, try it and see.
- Slice the red pepper (capsicum) into thin strips.
- Mix water, salt, sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- Add the sliced red pepper (and optional, a few grains of yellow corn for color) to the boiling water, cook about a minute until they begin to slightly soften, and remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, to cool until just lukewarm.
- Pour off the water.
- Add olive oil, cover and shake to coat.
- Add just a dash of black pepper.
- May be served warm or chilled.
I liked it! Very mild flavor, but it's nice. I liked it better cold than warm. Gotta love these low calorie side dishes. . .and it's pretty too! Made for AUS/NZ monthly recipe swap.
I made this recipe with an orange bell pepper because of the Photo tag (orange or brown theme). Maybe I shouldn't have. Because it doesn't taste a lot. Something is missing probably. Maybe some spices would be great with this. I used the frozen corn. But I wish I added more than 1 tbs. Sorry Lavender Lynn for this rating :( Thanks for posting. Made for Photo tag.