A simple red pepper makes a bright-colored and bright-flavored side salad usually served with grilled Bratwurst and Kartoffelsalat (potato salad) in Bavaria. After searching for a recipe for years, I've reconstructed it to my taste using techniques from other German and Polish recipes. Looks right to me, try it and see.
- Slice the red pepper (capsicum) into thin strips.
- Mix water, salt, sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- Add the sliced red pepper (and optional, a few grains of yellow corn for color) to the boiling water, cook about a minute until they begin to slightly soften, and remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, to cool until just lukewarm.
- Pour off the water.
- Add olive oil, cover and shake to coat.
- Add just a dash of black pepper.
- May be served warm or chilled.