Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe that my mother made frequently in the summer. It's a nice light salad when it's hot outside.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cucumbers, thinly sliced (peeled or not)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- dill, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar or 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- Mix together onion, cucumber, salt, pepper, dill, and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, oil, and vinegar. Pour over cucumber mixture. Toss.
- Marinate several hours in the refrigerator before serving.
What a delicious salad. I cut it back for two of us and used red onion (that is what I had) thinly sliced and I cut the oil and sugar down. Definately one to make again and again when the fresh cucumbers are on. Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Tag game.
Deliciously refreshing. Great for picnics or pot lucks. I did make this using 1 cucumber, 1/4 red onion, skipped the salt, lots of fresh dill. 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar. Made for ZWT 6 thanks Kathy!
This was very refreshing on a hot summer evening. I loved the sweet/sour taste. Unfortunately I had to use dried dill, but plan to try it with fresh dill next time, as it does make a difference. Made for ZWT6 2010.