1 hr 25 mins
Chef Carol Kay's Note:
Yes, another zucchini bread recipe but this is soooo good. You've got to try just once. Sometimes I substitute 1 cup of the all purpose flour with whole wheat. The flax seed is optional, but no one really notices it, so I can boost the nutrition up a bit. THE LAST THREE INGREDIENTS ARE FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE, IT WAS NOT LETTING ME LABEL THAT FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with veggie cooking spray.
- 3To prepare crumb mixture, in a small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Reserve 2 tablespoons.
- 4In a large bowl combine flour, flax seed, baking powder and baking soda.
- 5In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, butter, egg and egg white.
- 6Mix well.
- 7Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring until just combined.
- 8Stir in zucchini, walnuts or chocolate chips.
- 9Pour half the batter into a prepared pan.
- 10Sprinkle crumb mixture over batter.
- 11Pour remaining batter over the top.
- 12Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- 13Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from center of the loaf, about 55 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Mom's Zucchini Bread
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 192.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g