Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Yes, another zucchini bread recipe but this is soooo good. You've got to try just once. Sometimes I substitute 1 cup of the all purpose flour with whole wheat. The flax seed is optional, but no one really notices it, so I can boost the nutrition up a bit. THE LAST THREE INGREDIENTS ARE FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE, IT WAS NOT LETTING ME LABEL THAT FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of chilled butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with veggie cooking spray.
- To prepare crumb mixture, in a small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Reserve 2 tablespoons.
- In a large bowl combine flour, flax seed, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, butter, egg and egg white.
- Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring until just combined.
- Stir in zucchini, walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour half the batter into a prepared pan.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over batter.
- Pour remaining batter over the top.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from center of the loaf, about 55 minutes.
As delicious as this sounded, it did not turn out well for me at all. Despite baking it for much longer than the recipe called for, the loaf was quite undercooked in the middle. I bake quite often, and don't think I did anything wrong, so I am perplexed as to why the bread was such a flop.
This is a great recipe. I goofed when reading the directions and didn't notice the "crumb" section so I ended up putting some cocoa into the bread mix. Another great way to use up zucchini from the CSA.