Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yes, another zucchini bread recipe but this is soooo good. You've got to try just once. Sometimes I substitute 1 cup of the all purpose flour with whole wheat. The flax seed is optional, but no one really notices it, so I can boost the nutrition up a bit. THE LAST THREE INGREDIENTS ARE FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE, IT WAS NOT LETTING ME LABEL THAT FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of chilled butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with veggie cooking spray.
- To prepare crumb mixture, in a small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Reserve 2 tablespoons.
- In a large bowl combine flour, flax seed, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, butter, egg and egg white.
- Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring until just combined.
- Stir in zucchini, walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour half the batter into a prepared pan.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over batter.
- Pour remaining batter over the top.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from center of the loaf, about 55 minutes.